Season Number Four Approaches
It’s amazing to think it is now very nearly three years since we bought the Cheriton in April 2011. It’s also amazing to look back on how much we have done to the house and gardens during that time at the same time as being very busy welcoming so many guests each year.
During that time we have:
• Re-decorated and re-furnished all the bedrooms, including new beds and mattresses
• Re-carpeted the entire house, apart from the lounge and hall where we have put in very
smart wood flooring
• Done a complete kitchen re-fit and modernisation
• Restored the guest lounge to its original proportions (previously a corner had been taken
out) so there is even more space in which guests can relax
• Re-juvenated the lovely back garden and established new seating and barbecue areas
for guests to use
• Replaced double glazed windows and re-pointed the front of the house
• Made our own living accommodation a space we can really enjoy.
Enjoyable Birthday Party
In April a group of 15 friends came to the Cheriton to celebrate a special birthday. The weather was excellent for the stay so guests were able to enjoy a celebratory drink and canapes in the garden before dinner in the dining room. As Coq au Vin had been requested, Stan, Julian and Sue entered fully into the spirit of a French theme!
Large party from Finland
At the Cheriton we were very pleased to welcome a group of eighteen from Finland who all study English at the same evening class. They took the whole house for two nights, with five of the party being accommodated by our friends and colleagues at The Groveside.
We enjoyed providing supper for all eighteen in our dining room on both nights of their stay. The guests tucked into a choice between chicken cacciatore and luxury cottage pie followed by baked vanilla cheesecake or apple and blueberry crumble on the first night; on the second night we did Somerset pork and fish and prawn pie followed by Black Forest trifle or meringue fruit nests. All the dishes were home cooked (as always!) so we were pretty busy in the kitchen and, as usual, Sue was around to give us lots of help in serving the meal. It all went very well!